Work with the Maine-based team that’s revolutionizing the clean energy industry.
At Pika Energy, we make innovative power electronics products that change the way buildings use clean energy. We seek driven, independent, resourceful and creative doers. Big brains, big hearts and big ambitions define our team.
A great reason to work at Pika Energy: Portland, Maine
There’s a reason Portland, Maine is a perennial placeholder on national “best city” lists. Our world-class food, coastal Atlantic setting, historic architecture, vibrant culture, top-tier education… it all contributes to what makes Portland unique for a city of its size.
Live in a historic city that offers:
- Cost of Living: 25% lower than Boston
- Housing Cost: 44% lower than Boston
- Environment: With beaches, wilderness, lakes, rural and city living all nearby, a career at Pika lets you live where you feel most at home
- Outdoor Activities: Skiing, water sports, hiking, camping, fishing and hunting are all long-beloved Maine traditions
- Easy Access to Boston: Portland has an international airport and is a 90-minute drive from Boston, also accessible by Amtrak
- Entertainment: Portland is known for its exceptional arts scene, including museums, music venues and award-winning theater.
Pika Energy’s co-founders, Ben Polito and Joshua Kaufman, met while studying at MIT in the 1990s. They later worked together for several companies in the clean energy industry. Ben and Joshua launched Pika in 2010 to make clean energy systems that are affordable, attractive, and ready for mainstream adoption. They named their company for the American Pika, one of the most climate change-endangered species on our continent.
Ben Polito, Chief Executive Officer and Co-Founder
Ben Polito has been building clean energy technology since his high school days on an island farm in Maine, beyond the reach of grid power. Ben was the lead mechanical engineer on the team that developed the groundbreaking Skystream small wind turbine. Prior to launching Pika Energy, Ben built the east coast office of GreenMountain Engineering, a design consulting firm serving clean technology startups, and served on the founding team of 1366 Technologies, where he developed texturing methods for high-efficiency silicon solar cells. He holds patents and patents-pending on technology ranging from implantable medical devices to algae biofuels to solar cells. Ben earned a mechanical engineering degree from MIT, where he developed 3D printers, built autonomous submarines, and worked on Eink, the display technology of the Amazon Kindle.
Joshua Kaufman, Chief Technology Officer and Co-Founder
Joshua Kaufman grew up on the Great Plains of Kansas where he learned first-hand of the power of the wind and the sun. Joshua served as the sole electrical engineer at Southwest Windpower, where he led development of control electronics for the Skystream, Whisper and Air wind turbines. He also served as a consultant to numerous startups developing wind and solar energy products, including Windspire, California Wind Systems, PetraSolar, SunPower and SolFocus. Many of these companies struggled to meet their power and data transmission needs, and this experience led Joshua to develop Pika’s REbus™ Nanogrid technology. Joshua holds BS and MEng degrees in Electrical Engineering and Computer Science from MIT, with a focus on power electronics and feedback control.
Bill Hetzel, Chief Operating Officer
Bill Hetzel leads Pika Energy’s operations and finances. Bill developed his passion for outdoor adventure and the environment working summers as a camp counselor in Maine. Bill started his career as a management consultant for Oliver Wyman, and then he moved to Merck & Co. where he engineered global chemical plant capacity for their active pharmaceutical ingredients. For the next 13 years, Bill worked at Tom’s of Maine as leader of Procurement, Supply Chain, and then as Plant Manager, responsible for all the operations of their Sanford, Maine facility. Bill holds a BS in chemistry from Yale, and an MS in chemical engineering and an MS in management, both from MIT.
Enjoy the Perks of Working at Pika Energy
Join Pika Energy and enjoy the many perks of working at a small, creative organization in a great location. We offer:
- Generous Compensation and Benefits: Pika Energy offers competitive salaries, equity participation, 401(k) enrollment and more
- Time to Enjoy Maine: With Pika Energy’s vacation offering, you spend more time enjoying your family, Portland’s culture, and Maine’s wilderness
- Work and Play: Frisbee, ping pong, swimming in the river, music, cider making and ice cream parties are all part of Pika Energy’s culture
- Family-Friendly Schedules: We offer flexible, accommodating schedules to employees with family considerations.
We want you!
Pika Energy seeks talented individuals with background in engineering, sales, and clean energy.
Pika Energy is the place for you, if:
- You have spend lots of time making your creations work in the real world
- You can use your hands as well as your head
- You have strong interdisciplinary skills
- You take ownership of big projects
- You aspire to applying your intelligence and motivation to make a positive impact for our planet.
If this sounds like you, send us your resume today! Please submit materials to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Need more convincing?
Learn more about living and working in Portland, Maine.
- Creative Portland – resources for professionals moving to Portland
- BestPlaces.net on Portland’s cost of living
- Bangor Daily News on professionals seeking work in Portland
- Portland Downtown District website
- Buzzfeed‘s list of reasons to live in Maine